Steam Driving etc
All Our courses are held at The Institute of Astronomy, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0HA. For directions and a map visit this page.
We attempt to clear away the fog and help people who want to get into astronomy get started.
Courses are on Wednesdays, and start at 8pm
8pm, doors open 7:30pm
This nine week course for those new to astronomy is run by both the CAA and the IoA.
Each week there will be main themed lecture of around 45-55 minutes followed by refreshments and then another activity such as a visit to one of the telescope domes (which a chance to look through it if the weather cooperates) or visit to another part of the Institute to see what goes on there, or another indoor presentation such as a planetarium show.
We aim to finish at around 9:45-10pm
- 16th May - The inner solar system - Jonathan Clough
- 23rd May - The Outer solar system and beyond - Paul Fellows
- 30th May - Things that go bump in the night - Brian Lister
- 6th June - Children of Another Sun - Paul Fellows
- 13th June - Galaxies and the Milky way - Renske Smit
- 20th June - Introduction to Cosmology - Catrina Diener
- 27th June - Capturing the sky with a digital camera - Paul Fellows
- 4th July - break - there is no lecture this week
- 11th July - Deep Sky Photography - David Davis
- 18th July - The History of Astronomical Imaging - Peter Howell
The course is open to anyone 16 and over. The cost is a £10 covering the entire 9 week course.
Should you wish to attend only some of the evenings please pay £2 at the door for each session
Full details will be available at our meetings, or at the IoA open day or you can talk to Paul on 01954 202785 (evenings) or Brian tel 01223 420954
Alternatively you can email us: Paul here or Brian here
If paying by cheque: Please make payable to the Cambridge Astronomical Association and send to Brian Lister, 80 Ramsden Square, Cambridge, CB4 2BL
Want to Pay Electronically? You can send the money direct to our account
Account name : CAMBRIDGEASTRONOMICALASS
Account number : 10679844
Sort code : 20-17-22
Please use Reference; I2A followed by your name eg. I2A Joe Bloggs
Important! Once the money has been transferred, please click here and fill in the details to tell us who you are and what you have paid for
Just send an email to Brian stating the following,
Name and Address and the number of members tickets required
Amount transferred and name of your account
This is so that we can work out why we got the money and who from!